Tungareshwar Birdwatching trail is an introductory trail to new enthusiasts into bird watching as well as avid birders around Mumbai. The trail encompasses a lot on birds and their life. Our trips are led by expert ornithologists & Naturalists.
- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
- Things to Carry
- Important Note
TUNGERASHWAR BIRDWATCHING TRAIL
Tungareshwar is a mountain plateau situated between Virar and Vasai, an hour's drive from Mumbai. It is a dense forest region with lush green surroundings and flowing waterfalls during monsoon. At an altitude of about 2177 feet, it is a popular destination for trekkers and mountaineers.
This forest has been declared as a wildlife sanctuary. The forest is an effective corridor and buffer for the fauna of the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Borivali, and Mumbai.
Leopard, rusty-spotted cat, common palm civet, jackal, fox, common langur, common mongoose, black-naped hare, sambar and barking deer
BIRDS - 150 species
(Including common kestrel, peregrine falcon, crested serpent eagle, hornbill, grey jungle fowl)
FLORA - 500 species
No of days: 01
Trail time: 2 – 3Hrs
Mumbai – Tungareshwar – Mumbai
Tungareshwar Forest Trail
0530Hrs: Start from Meeting Point
0700Hrs: Reach entrance of Tungareshwar
0715Hrs: Briefing & Introduction on trail
0745Hrs: Trail Begins
Birding at the Pond
1100Hrs: Return to entrance point
Drive back to origin
- Return AC Transport from Dadar to Tungareshwar
- Entry fees for Sanctuary
- Trail packet
- Professional Naturalist host of the experience
- Any other transport from origin of participant to meeting point.
- Additional meals or services
- Any expense of personal nature
- Any other item specifically NOT mentioned in includes.
- A Hat
- Insect repellent
- Sunglasses with UV protection
- A dust protection mask
- Personal Bottle (To avoid plastic use – 1LtrsX2)
- Small backpack (10Ltrs)
- Bird books
- Sun screen
- Only dull coloured clothes (Green, brown, Beige, Camouflage)
- Camera (At owners risk) with proper equipment for photography (As per need)
- Fleece/Jacket (temperatures drop in the forest to below 10 degree Celsius on safaris in winters)
- Energy bars
- Wildlife safaris/Bird watching is a matter of luck and opportunity. No guarantee of any sighting is made. Neither of our associates will quote that, although we try our best to spot and show you as much as nature allows us to.
- Birdwatching is a hobby and not a race, hence request all birders to maintain discipline at all times.
- Bird watching is an art of silence and key observation.
- Avoid Pointing out directly to a bird that might flush the bird away.
- Avoid wearing bright colours and half pants.
- Do not get too close to a bird for a photograph that you flush it away.
- Birdwatching should be enjoyed by binoculars and the fun is to spot them, identify them and if you still have some time with the bird photograph them.
- Never enter the forest with an intention of spotting a single species, it will only disappoint you. The forest is a gift packet with a lot to surprise with. Listen to our naturalist for more wonderful experience.
- Our walks are not target species specific (Unless specified)
- We explore everything we find uncommon and need to be explained.
- Any demand for spotting a single species in any jeep will not be entertained by the guide or the tour leader as there are other travellers who would want to see the birds etc.
- Respect & honour everything that is in the forest and it has to offer you.
- Enjoy being in the forest and you will feel much happier away from the concrete chaos.
- Respect the local, tribes, guards, guides, drivers, officers and all animals.
- Front seat of the Gypsy is always reserved for the Guide or Guard.
- No extra room will be made for photographers, respecting other travellers. (For photographers it is recommended to opt for higher options)
- No littering in the forest strictly. (what goes comes back the same way)
- Camera fees & guide tips to be paid separately & directly.
- Kindly follow the instructions given by the tour leader and the guide for your own safety.
The charges for child and adults are the same. Kindly book it under Adults.
For Birdwatching events we recommend a minimum age of 7yrs
Yes you can opt for Ex Tungareshwar (Without transportation) option while booking. We will be sharing live updates of our movement. Although the parking charges of your self vehicle is to be borne by you.
We will be providing a light trail packet consisting of (Energy bar, biscuit, 1 Fruit, snack packet).